Thursday 4 September 2008

£2.29 per day left

So I thought I was doing so well, but I was lured to the pub by my sister.  However, she knows of my experiment and bought me a half and a pie. It wouldn't do to live completely off charity so i bought my round back.  My sister rightly said that she owed me on the food front as I've fed her all week.  Fair enough.  And it was nice to sit in the pub.

That means that today's total is £5.40 for 2 pints of shandy - it's a school night !

Remaining weekly budget is £6.88 for Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Daily £2.29.  

If I wanted to visit mum in the BRI I couldn't get there on the remaining money. In fact, if I can't make the food in the house last, I am going to struggle to make it through the week.  Amy has packed a salad for lunch tomorrow, I have enough bread for toast for breakfast and I am confident that I can rustle something up for tea.  

I have had 2 frivolities this week - a pint of shandy for my sister and one for me this evening and a hot choc in town yesterday  while I was waiting to meet my friend.  I haven't bought a lunch, any petrol.  

However, if I had been more organised, I could have brought tampons from home instead of being caught short and having to nip to Boots to get extra.  But on the bright side, they will get used at some point.  The menopause it quite a way off.  

So although not frivolous, non of the items on my list have been essential, live giving items - no food.  This £30 isn't pocket money, it is the money I have to live on.  Food must come out of it as well.  I am going to have to plan next week carefully if this is going to work. 

At present the money I have left has to get me through a weekend. The lumber has been round this evening and said that he can come round to fix the leek in the bathroom on Saturday. At the moment, my sister and I are going to the local pool for our showers so as not to exacerbate the problem in the bathroom.  £10 is a good rate for a plumber, but on top of that he will charge me for materials,  estimated to be only another £10  So will this £20 come out of next weeks £30?  It's going to have to.  

This is how the problem snowballs.  

To rub salt into the wound, the washing machine is on the blink.  It seems to be making some kind of burning smell.  It's lasted well - must be over 10 years old.  So I've had good use out of it.  But now it needs replacing, it's going to be a few hundred quid.  How many lots of weekly budget will that be? 

I can't think of anything I particularly need apart from food but it's the weekend.  I'm going to want to sit in cafe's and watch the world go by.  I'm going to need to be creative about how to have a fun and cost free weekend. 




No comments: