Tuesday 2 September 2008

Totally Broke

This is a test.  For a long while I have known that I am completely broke - that my out goings far exceed my incomings.  I'm not particularly frivolous, I just don't earn that much and have had a few unexpected expenses.  No different to anyone else.  I have also known that to put my self back on an even keel, I need to re-dress my spending habits.  The first step is to balance my incoming cash knock off all the bills and then live within my means for a month.  That is the test.  

It's not complicated, but it could be tricky! I have £30 a week to live on.  When my credit cards are paid off this will all change, but unless I stick to this, and keep putting cash on the credit card it never will. 

I have some food in the cupboard and with some imaginative meals I should be able to use up some items that should have been used long ago and clear up some space.  I don't need to by cleaning stuff as I have a mountain of that and I don't need to drive to work as I can walk or cycle.

Cut backs
However, this still means that I will have to change some habits.  I am an organized so rarely take lunch to work and spend a fortune on lunch in town.  I like a beer down the pub, at home in front of the tele.  A night on the beer could easily wipe out my entire weeks budget, so that will have to go. 

Unavoidables
Although I will be able to feed myself for a few days, Ill need to shop before long and most of the £30 budget will have to be spent on food. Also, while mum is in hospital, I will have to put aside £9.80 a week for the return fare to Bristol to see he.  The train is cheaper than petrol and parking and is quicker.  I must go to see her and this will be once a week, so the reality is that I actually only have £20.80 left from the £30 budget.

So is it possible?  I' m 2 days in to the experiment and spending so far looks like this:

Sunday - nothing.  
Not really a triumph because I was hungover from a hen weekend and couldn't be doing with facing the world.  Good job the experiment didn't start last week or I would have failed at the first hurdle. 

Monday 
£1.60 on tampons - cross about this as I have a stash at home, but was caught short so have to make emergency run to Boots
10p on a steam - government have made a steam a luxury item so it's no longer included in my swim membership at local pool.  


No comments: